Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Coconut Margaritas

Coconut Margaritas// Loves Food, Loves to Eat
My sister and her boyfriend just got back from the most amazing look tropical vacation ever. They went to Turks and Caicos, those jerks! And while I zipped up my raincoat and pulled on my galoshes, she texted me pictures of white sand and bright blue water. Jealousy level max over here. 

Coconut Margaritas// Loves Food, Loves to Eat
Coconut Margaritas// Loves Food, Loves to Eat Fact: the only possible way to overcome tropical vacation envy, aside from hopping on a plane, is to drink tropical drinks. Bonus points for pink umbrellas. 

Coconut Margaritas// Loves Food, Loves to Eat Turks and Caicos is all about the rum punch, but I only had one drink of my mind: coconut margaritas! 

Coconut Margaritas// Loves Food, Loves to Eat
Coconut Margaritas// Loves Food, Loves to Eat Last week my friend LZ and I had these coconut margs at happy hour the other day, and they were amazing! They weren't too sweet or over the top, and since they were made with coconut water, I felt all good and hydrated, something I don't usually feel when I'm drinking tequila! 

Coconut Margaritas// Loves Food, Loves to Eat So of course, over the weekend I decided to shake up my own coconut margs, and pretend I was somewhere sunny and warm…just ignore that rain sound on the windows. That's just ocean waves. Obviously. 

Coconut Margaritas// Loves Food, Loves to Eat I'm not trying to brag or anything, but these are the most amazing margaritas I've ever had. A little tart, a little sweet, a little coconutty… tropical perfection! I invited LZ over for taste testing, and we each had a couple tastes. I mean, full-glass sized tastes. Then maybe a couple more. Who was counting, ya know? We certainly weren't. 

Coconut Margaritas// Loves Food, Loves to Eat
Coconut Margaritas, on the Rocks
Inspired by El Borracho Coconut Margaritas
Makes enough for a crowd

Coconut Tequila (I used this brand)
Fresh lemon/lime juice (juice of 2 lemons & 3 limes, mixed)
Ginger syrup (like this, or make your own)
Coconut water (C2O is my favorite, Zico is my 2nd favorite)
1 can coconut cream (different from coconut milk, but that would work as well-PS. how great is Coco Lopez website... from like, 1999)
Toasted coconut sugar (2 tablespoons sugar & 3 tablespoons toasted desiccated coconut, stirred together)

To prepare your glass, add toasted coconut sugar to a plate. Run a lime wedge across the glass rim, and dip rim in sugar and coconut, twisting to coat. Add ice to glass.

For each margarita, fill up cocktail shaker half way with ice, and add:
 
1 oz tequila
1 oz lemon/lime juice
1/4 oz ginger syrup
2 oz coconut water
1/2 oz coconut cream

Shake until combined, and strain into prepared glass. Serve with a lime wedge and pink umbrella! Add a floater of coconut cream if you like it a bit sweeter. 


Coconut Margaritas// Loves Food, Loves to Eat
SHARE:
© Loves Food, Loves to Eat. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig