Thursday, February 20, 2014

Easy Peasy Split Pea Soup

I have a few things to discuss with you today: jury duty, TV shows, and the easiest soup ever. We’ll start with jury duty.

Split Pea Soup // Loves Food, Loves to Eat
I had my first jury duty summons this week, and you guys… I loved it! Obviously it can be an inconvenience and burden to take the time off work, and blah blah blah… but man was it fun. I was on a panel, and got to spend a few hours in a court room for jury selection, with the judge, attorneys, and defendant. In the end I didn’t make it in the jury box, but it was so cool to see the process. I was a little bummed I wasn’t selected. Everyone else cheered when they were released. I was sad. I’m gonna go watch Runaway Jury now.

Split Pea Soup // Loves Food, Loves to Eat
Ok, so… TV shows. Are you watching True Detective yet!? Holy moly. I seriously can’t handle Monday through Saturday, because I’m just dying for the next episode. I love everything about it. The acting is phenomenal (Matt McConahey and Woody Harrelson are amazing), the story line has me hooked, and the I love the look and feel of it. Also, House of Cards, Walking Dead, GIRLS: loving the latest of all three. Although, I must say, and I hate to admit this, but in the latest GIRLS, the beach house episode… Gah. I think I’m sort of a Marne when it comes to party planning and expectations and getting mad when extra people crash the party and I only have enough duck for four people. I get it. But it was pretty gross watching it… I’ll try to change, I will!

Split Pea Soup // Loves Food, Loves to Eat
Ok, so now, on to this soup. All you have to do is add everything to a pot, boil it, simmer it, eat it. Seriously the easiest ever. Easy peasy… peas. Now, I enjoy the process of browning and caramelizing my base ingredients as much as the next gal, and if you have time and are so inclined, you can do that here. But, if you’re my fiancé (hehe, fiancé…gets me every time) and your night for cooking usually consists of the taco truck or a frozen pizza, this soup is a really good start. Evan is a mighty fine onion chopper, and that’s basically all the skill needed for this recipe.

Oh yeah, and it tastes really good, too.

Easy Peasy Split Pea Soup

Slightly adapted from my sister, who slightly adapted from my mom, who slightly adapted from the recipe on the bag of split peas

1 bag (about 2 cups) dried split peas, rinsed
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 carrots, diced
6 pieces of thick cut bacon, diced
1 bay leaf
2-3 sprigs thyme
8 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper

Add all ingredients to a large pot, and bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for an hour, or until peas are tender and mushy. Add more water if needed. Serve with parmesan cheese and bread or crackers.

SHARE:
© Loves Food, Loves to Eat. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig