Sunday, December 8, 2013

Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Truffles

Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Truffles// Loves Food, Loves to Eat
Do you guys have a favorite holiday movie?

Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Truffles// Loves Food, Loves to Eat As far as classics go, I love It's a Wonderful Life and White Christmas. I also love all the old animated ones like Rudolph, Frosty, and (the original) Grinch. The best newer holiday movie is obviously Elf. And as far as all-time favorites go, the best holiday movie, hands down, is Home Alone. I probably quote Home Alone at least once a month. I'm pretty bummed it's not available on streaming Netflix. Christmas Vacation is available though, and I watched that last night in the glow of my round, shrub-like Christmas tree. 

Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Truffles// Loves Food, Loves to Eat This year I decided I'm going to try to watch Love Actually. Guys, I'm sorry. I've tried. I really tried to watch it when it came out, and I just made fun of it and eventually left the room. I just don't love Hugh Grant romantic comedies. Not my thing. The only movie that I've liked in that type of genre so far is the Holiday, which is actually pretty good. So. I'm gonna do it. I'll report back and let you know what I think.

Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Truffles// Loves Food, Loves to Eat But in other news… CARAMELIZED ONION, PISTACHIO, AND GOAT CHEESE TRUFFLES. 

Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Truffles// Loves Food, Loves to Eat I love cheese balls, and couldn't get the idea of a caramelized onion and chèvre ball out of mind. Then I remembered these little gems, and just couldn't live with myself if I didn't make tiny little bite-sized goat cheese balls. THESE ARE SO GOOD. The caramelized onions, with honey and balsamic, are sweet and tangy, and go so good with the creamy cheese. Then you roll them in ground pistachios for a nutty little crunch. The hardest part is waiting for the onions to cool so you can get to rolling.

Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Truffles// Loves Food, Loves to Eat You can serve these with crackers and jam (try something like peach jam or orange marmalade) or you can just pop 'em in your mouth like candy. Make these for a holiday party, and people would be pretty stoked about it. Or…make them for yourself, then sit inside near a heater and watch holiday movies, which is my plan, because it's freaking freezing outside. 


Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Truffles// Loves Food, Loves to EatCaramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Truffles
Inspired by this recipe

1 onion
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon butter
salt
honey
balsamic vinegar
8 ounces chèvre
1/2 cup pistachios, finely ground (using food processor)

Dice the onion in small pieces.

Heat a  thick-bottomed sauté pan over medium high. Add olive oil and butter, and heat until it's shimmering. Add onions and stir. Spread onions evenly, and cook, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium/medium and cook for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, and cook another 20-40 minutes, until brown and caramelized, but not burned. Stir in a small spoonful of honey and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Add more honey, vinegar, or salt, depending on your tastes. Cook another minute or two, and remove from heat. Let cool completely. 

Crumble chèvre into a bowl, and stir in cooled onions. Roll into 1 to 2 inch balls, and then roll in ground pistachios. Refrigerate until time to serve. 

Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Truffles// Loves Food, Loves to Eat
SHARE:
© Loves Food, Loves to Eat. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig