Monday, January 4, 2010

2010!

Happy New Year! You know what that means…time to get moving on those New Year’s resolutions! Like usual, I have some food related resolutions… which, for me, do NOT involve dieting. Diet Schmiet! Don’t worry… I vow to continue enticing you with delicious recipes and ooey gooey scrumptious pictures! I might eat a few more salads in the coming weeks… but that’s only to balance out the New Years Eve cupcakes.




New Year’s Resolution #1: Don’t Double It
I want to get back in shape, but I’m not going to stop making buttery baked goodies… I should, however, stop doubling the batches if I want to continue fitting in my little kitchen! We had a few people over to celebrate for New Years Eve, and of course I made way too much food. Double batch of bean dip (from Mel’s old Mexican cookbook), Pork Posole (always eat pork for the New Year- pigs represent progress!), and two recipes from a little grocery store coupon magazine my Grandma sends (Raley’s): Queso Fundido (Chorizo/verde/cheese dip), and buttery addicting Dulce de Leche cupcakes with toffee bits and butter-brown sugar frosting. The recipe made only 9 cupcakes, so I doubled it, making 18. The next day, I realized we had exactly 9 cupcakes left… which I of course ate. Did I mention we only had about six people over? Yes, I have a fridge full of bean dip…and a belly full of cupcakes!

New Year’s Resolution #2: Wake Up!
I’m not a morning person…but I want to be! I resolve to start getting up earlier to attack the day…and make breakfast—like this!



I’ve been wanted to make breakfast pizza for some time now, after seeing this, but never have time in the mornings! And when I try to make breakfast while I’m also getting ready for work… bad things happen. This first attempt at breakfast pizza tasted DELICIOUS—based on the components and flavors of my favorite breakfast sandwich at the Leary Traveler, I started with an olive oil brushed crust, sprinkled with garlic and rosemary sea salt, ribbons of sage and basil, shredded parmesan and white cheddar cheese, thin sliced salty prosciutto, a layer of tomatoes, whole eggs, and fresh cracked pepper.



But…I was busy getting ready for work, and lost track of time. The pizza was hard as a rock and the eggs so were so done they were like rubber. If they weren’t stuck to the crust, which was stuck to the pan, I could have probably bounced them like a basketball. That’s what happens when you don’t get up early.

New Year’s Resolution #3: Post It!
I have some great recipes and pictures that I haven’t had time to post for you, so in 2010, I resolve to do better at posting more often! So… in the spirit of the New Year, Loves Food, Loves to Eat's first recipe of 2010: Dulce de Leche Cupcakes! Enjoy (and don’t double it…unless you have 18 guests or plan to double your workout after!)



Dulce de Leche Cupcakes
Adapted from Raley's Something Extra: makes 9

Cupcakes:
1/4 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup toffee bits

Frosting:
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin cups with paper liners. Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and creamy. Add milk and eggs, and beat on medium-high for 2 minutes. Add flour, baking soda, and salt- beat until combined. Stir in toffee bits. Spoon into prepared tins and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from tins while slightly warm. While cupcakes arebaking, prepare frosting by combining brown sugar, cream, and butter in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling for one minute, without stirring. Transfer to a mixing bowl and cool for 20 minutes. Beat in powdered sugar with an electric mixer until smooth - spread on cooled cupcakes!
SHARE:
© Loves Food, Loves to Eat. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig